• Ida Ayu Made Sri Widiastuti Universitas Mahasaraswati Denpasar, Jalan Kamboja 11A, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
  • Ida Bagus Nyoman Mantra Universitas Mahasaraswati Denpasar, Jalan Kamboja 11A, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
  • Ni Made Wersi Murtini Universitas Mahasaraswati Denpasar, Jalan Kamboja 11A, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
Keywords: Analysis, Text, Writing, Acquisition, Pre-Service Teachers


Writing is a complex process in which the process of putting the ideas and organizing the grammatical sentences into written statements as a means of communication. The study dealt with analyzing text writing acquisition by pre-service teachers in Bali. The samples were 60 pre-service teachers who are currently taking teachers training in the English language education study program. The participants were determined using a random sampling method with a lottery system. The data were collected by administering an essay text writing instrument. The obtained data were analyzed by using a norm-referenced measure of five standard values showed that 0.00% of the samples got excellent achievement of recount text writing ability; 41.67% of the samples got good achievement; 30.00% of the samples got sufficient achievement; 18.33% of the samples got the insufficient achievement, and 10.00% of the samples got the poor achievement. This indicated that 71.67% of the samples who were categorized successfully in text writing and the other 28.33% samples were categorized unsuccessful as they were below the sufficient achievement. This finding implies that further serious training in text writing should be undertaken by pre-service teachers.


[1] Alderson, J. C., and Bachman, L. F. (2002). Assessing Writing. Cambridge:Cambridge University Press.
[2] Barkaoui, K. (2007). Assessing Writing 12. Canada: Elsevier Inc.
[3] Bitchener, J., Cameron, D., & Young S. (2005).The effect of different types of corrective feedback on ESL student writing. Journal of Second Language Writing,14 (3),191-205
[4] Brown, H. D. (2004). Language Assessment “Principles and
Classroom Practices”. New York: San Fransisco State University.
[5] Fulcher, G., and Davidson, F. (2007). Language Testing and Assessment: An Advanced Resource Book. New York: Routledge Taylor and Francis Group
[6] Hyland, K. (2003). Second Language Writing. New York: Cambridge UniversityPress.
[7] Ismail, S. A. A. (2011). Exploring students' perceptions of ESL writing. English Language Teaching, 4(2), 73-83.
[8] Kane, S. T. (2000). The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing. New York: Berkley Books.
[9] McKay, P. (2006). Assessing Young Language Learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
[10] Miller, D. M., Linn, R. L., and Gronlund, N.E. (2009). Measurement and Assessment in Teaching. New Jersey: Pearson.
[11] Oshima, A., and Hogue, A. (2007). Introduction to Academic Writing (Third Edition). New York: Pearson Education, Inc.
[12] Pour-Mohammadi, M., Zainol Abidin, M., & Cheong Lai, F. (2012).The effect of process writing practice on the writing quality of form one students: A Case Study. Asian Social Science, 8(3), 88-99.
[13] Taylor, G. (2009). A student’s Writing Guide: How to Plan and Write Success Essay. New York: Cambridge University Press.
[14] Webb, S. A. (2009). The effects of pre-learning vocabulary on reading comprehension and writing. Canadian Modern Language Review, 65(3), 441-470.